Wisconsin basketball battled for 40 minutes with Big Ten champion Purdue last night. Despite the effort, the Badgers (16-13, 8-11 B1G) fell 63-61. A win likely would have secured Wisconsin’s spot in the NCAA Tournament. Instead, Wisconsin will need at least two more wins to get to the Big Dance.
Will Wisconsin Basketball Make the NCAA Tournament?
Wisconsin is flirting with needing to make history to receive an at-large bid to March Madness. Only two teams with 15 losses have ever qualified for the NCAA Tournament as at-larges (Alabama in 2018 and Vanderbilt in 2017). If UW loses its regular-season finale at Minnesota and fails to win the Big Ten Tournament, the Badgers would finish the season with 15 losses.
— Kedrick Stumbris (@KedrickStumbris) March 3, 2023
As of today, only 45 of 75 bracketologists on Bracket Matrix have Wisconsin in the NCAA Tournament field. ESPN’s Joe Lunardi has UW as the second-to-last team in. In order to improve their odds of making the Tournament, the Badgers undoubtedly want other bubble teams to struggle down the stretch.
NCAA Tournament Bubble Watch: Wisconsin Basketball
Although Wisconsin basketball’s loss last night hurt its NCAA Tournament chances, it did get help from other teams. Nearly every other team on the bubble lost last night:
- Rutgers suffered a disastrous 75-74 loss at Minnesota last night. Minnesota’s Jamison Battle hit a buzzer-beating three-pointer to cap off a comeback after Rutgers led by 10 points with only 1:05 remaining. It is Rutgers’ fourth Quadrant 3 loss.
- Michigan allowed Illinois to go on a 7-0 run to close the first overtime period in an eventual double-overtime 91-87 loss to the Illini. The Wolverines missed potential game-winning shots at the end of regulation and at the end of the first overtime period.
- Arizona State suffered a blowout loss to UCLA 79-61. Only 44 of 75 predictors on Bracket Matrix now have the Sun Devils in the NCAA Tournament field.
- Memphis was the only bubble team to win last night. The Tigers soundly defeated the SMU Mustangs 81-62.
- USC lost to Arizona 87-81 last night in a game that never felt that close. Arizona led by as many as 16 points in the second half, while USC never cut the deficit to any fewer than five.
JAMISON BATTLE WINS IT!
Minnesota erases a 10-point deficit with just 1:05 to play to shock Rutgers!pic.twitter.com/XOb5alIiIn
— Heat Check CBB (@HeatCheckCBB) March 3, 2023
NCAA Tournament Bracketology: Bubble Teams Playing Today
Wisconsin is not playing today, but fans should keep their eyes on one other game tonight. Stay tuned to Badger Notes for our continuing Wisconsin basketball bracketology series because there are several bubble teams playing in key matchups this weekend.
New Mexico Lobos at Colorado State Rams – 10:00 PM on FS1
New Mexico’s chances of receiving an at-large berth to the NCAA Tournament have faded quickly. A loss to Colorado State tonight would eliminate those chances. Although the Lobos are currently on the outside looking in, a win tonight plus a deep run in the Mountain West tournament could put them under consideration. New Mexico started the season 14-0 but has gone only 7-9 since. New Mexico defeated Colorado State earlier in the season, 88-69.
Contact/Follow us @Badger_Notes on Twitter, Subscribe to the BadgerNotes Newsletter here, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Wisconsin Badgers news, notes, opinion, and analysis. You can also follow Kedrick Stumbris on Twitter @KedrickStumbris.
Wisconsin Basketball to Lean on Core Contributors Down the Stretch
Wisconsin Football to Host 4-Star Two-Way Prospect on Recruiting Visit
Former Wisconsin Basketball Coach Named to Naismith Watchlist
Former Wisconsin Basketball Star Frank Kaminsky Inks New Deal
Wisconsin Football Student Section Was Embarrassing vs. Ohio State
Paul Chryst Emerging as Top Target for Big Ten Coaching Vacancy
Football2 days ago
Wisconsin Football Bolstered Its Secondary With a Top-Graded Transfer
FB Recruiting2 days ago
Wisconsin Football Recruiting Target Picks up Unfortunate Crystal Ball
FB Recruiting2 days ago
Source: Wisconsin Football Losing Ground in Pursuit of Top 150 Recruiting Target
FB Recruiting4 days ago
Wisconsin Football Falls Short in Recruiting Battle with Notre Dame